15 bean soup with cornbread

I have fond memories of eating beans and cornbread with my Granny every week. The only thing is that she liked to use a ton of vegetable oil in it. When we lived with her, I had to hide the bottle so she didn't use too much.

Anyways, I decided to make a batch of 15 bean soup for supper tonight. I tried making some awhile back according to the directions but I found it tasted too watery.





First, I soaked the beans overnight. Then I rinsed the beans and drained them. Put them in my large oval crockpot and put just enough water to barely cover the beans. I put the lid on at 8 in the morning and set to low. Around noon, I checked on it and the beans had nearly cooked all the way. I opened up a can of diced tomatoes and added some dried onions and garlic powder.




 About 2 in the afternoon, I added a pound of diced cubed ham. It is simmering nicely while the cornbread bakes.




I have two favorite cornbread recipes that I use depending on my mood. I grew up on spicy cornbread. I wish I had my Granny's recipe. Her cornbread had cheese, creamed corn, green chillies and bacon in it. It was delicious! I grew up thinking that all cornbread tasted this way. Until I met my husband. He grew up on the kind of cornbread that tastes like cake.

Since my Granny passed, I have switched to eating his style. The first recipe is sweeter than the other. It reminds me of a light sweet cake.

If you've only ever tasted cornbread in a box try this recipe!

Sweet cornbread

Preheat oven to 400.

1 cup of flour
1 cup of yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup oil (I use butter)
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon baking powder
2-4 Tablespoons of sugar

Mix dry. Beat egg in separate bowl. Add milk. Mix liquid into dry. I like to grate the butter on top and mix together. It will melt while it bakes.

Bake in cast iron or greased skillet for 25 minutes until golden brown.

When I want cornbread, but want something less sweet, I make this one-

Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of milk
1 egg
1 Tablespoon of oil

Mix everything together like the other. Pour in a small greased skillet and bake 425 for 25-30 minutes.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber