A few weeks ago, I soaked some important documents in water in an attempt to destroy them. Now that we we moved to the city, we can't burn anymore. I didn't want to have to buy a paper shredder.
The soaking process was not going as well as I thought so I added a dollop of bleach to it and it started falling apart. And it kept the bucket from smelling. I changed out the water a few times and then I was left with a huge amount of paper pulp.
I've always been fascinated with the idea of making my own paper since I was a kid begging my parents to buy or build me a mold and deckle. I looked online for instructions to build my own but knew the chances of me actually getting one built was slim.
I figured why not try it with all this paper pulp I had.
I ended up finding a blog telling how to make paper using a splatter screen. I've seen them at the dollar store before so I thought what do I have to loose. I ended up blending the pulp further with my old blender, because dear sweet hubby bought me a ninja recently. Yay!! (More on this later)
I've always wanted a "craft blender" but didn't want it confused with the food one. Now I have one!
Anyways, after blending the pulp, I attempted to make some paper. I scooped it onto the screens using a giant tin foil roaster pan ($.88 at Walmart) The screens came as a 2 pk from Walmart for $7-8. One is smaller than the other which actually worked out better than I thought it would. After scooping some pulp on one tray, I top with that other and press down. I've since learned I can use a pie pan to press it now evenly. Then I flip it over and press more with a sponge or cloth. The more times I flip it and press it, the drier it gets.
I was trying to find a way to dry it when I remembered my solar drying rack. It's perfect!
I'm planning to make gift tags with this first batch of paper. And work my way to stationary. I added some flowers petals to some sheets and learned some other techniques to try later.
I can't wait. Now instead of throwing out junk mail, I'm going to recycle it.
I'll post up more pictures next time of the actual making of it.
Here are some pictures of the finished results.
I thought it was funny that there was a "c" showing on one of the papers.
I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...
*If you wish to share this pattern with others, please send them the link rather than copying and pasting the pattern. One of my k...
I bought some red netting the other day to try making a different crocheted pot scrubber. I was talking to a friend of mine about a scrubbe...
A friend of mine showed me some rugs she had woven with a loom and recycled t-shirts. I loved the idea, but don't have room to use a l...