Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Coconut lemon bars

I wanted to make something to take to hubby's workplace today. I opened up my favorite cooky book and found this recipe- coconut lemon bars.

The way it was made reminded me of my pecan squares recipe. I didn't have walnuts and raisins in the bars sounded gross, so I left them out.

They were a big hit at work. Everyone seemed to really like them. The 32 bars were gobbled up quickly in less than an hour.

I will make them again but for now I'm having fun trying new recipes.

The funny thing was everyone referred to them as pecan bars. They did kind of taste like there were nuts in it, but not one.

To make, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Make crust-

Spray 9 by 13 pan lightly and mix 2 cups flour with 1/2 cup melted butter and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar. Press into pan and take for 10 minutes.

While it's baking, beat three eggs. Add 2 cups packed brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, beat all together. Then stir in 1 cup shredded coconut. Pour filling into partially baked crust and bake an additional 25-30 minutes. Do not overbake. It may appear undone, but it will continue to cook while it's cooling. These chewy bars are rich, so cut into 3 by 1 inch bars after they are cooled. The top will be brown. I used lemon powder reconstituted so they weren't really tart, but they tasted delicious! (It may be more tart with actual lemon juice)

Blogger isn't letting me add any pics! :-(

No comments: