Pages

Monday, February 8, 2016

Yogurt

After spending an entire week reading about how to make yogurt, I must say the thought of making it sounded terrifying. There were so many different ways to make it and they all made it sound like theirs was the only right way. So many temperatures, so many starter cultures, I finally got to the point of not being able to read any more recipes.

I "talked" to a friend who had made it before and got plenty of good advice from her. My raw milk was delivered today so I took the plunge and decided I was ready to make a batch.

This morning I made a batch of English muffins for the week. They turned out great. I sampled one for breakfast. Yum!

There are plenty of great recipes out there. I chose this one. Google: thecookinggeek and you'll find it. My batch made 9. I patted it out and used a glass to cut the circles. I baked it for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. I sprinkled cornmeal on the cookie sheet. Turned the rounds over and covered the other side with cornmeal. I used 1/4 cup of cornmeal. Calories are 124 per muffin.

Anyways, this is how I made my yogurt-

I heated 2 quarts of milk in a pot to 115 degrees. Added 2 teaspoons yogurt starter to a cup and added some warm milk to it and stirred it together. Added it back to the main pot. And poured it into clean sterilized jars. Put the lids on them. Set in Excalibur dehydrator and put temperature of 110. Let it sit for 8 hours. I was told that it sat a little longer than necessary, but that it was fine. I tasted it and it was yummy!

Now the jars are sitting in the refrigerator overnight. Waiting to be consumed in the morning.

I don't know why I was so scared to make yogurt. I can't believe it took me so long to make it before since I love yogurt so much and hate buying it from the store.

I was supposed to sew today but couldn't get in the mood. Hoping to tomorrow. I've got tote bags to make.

No comments: