Saturday, August 9, 2014

Veggie Chips

I am really loving my new dehydrator! I've been using it every other day drying zucchini, squash, tomatoes and okra.

I just hand slice it 1/4 inch thick and lay out on the trays. I salted and put lemon pepper on one batch, but found I prefer them plain. Except my okra, these I salt.

Today I dried some okra and added some garlic powder to them. I also cut and sliced some green beans and after blanching them, laid them to dry. I expect they'll get done tonight around 10 pm.  Oh, and I sliced up two yellow crooked neck squash too.

I wasn't sure when I bought my dehydrator if I should choose the 9 tray model or not. I thought about just getting the 4 or 5 tray one, but so glad I chose the larger tray version. So far, every time I've dried something I've ended up filling every single tray and then still having some leftover. Plus, when I rise my bread, I'll have plenty of space. I still hope to try some yogurt making too.

I've heard you can use the dried veggie chips to dip salsa into, but so far I've enjoyed just eating them as chips. They are so yummy! I love knowing that I'm just consuming dried vegetables, no preservatives and no chemicals!

I wondered when I got my dehydrator how much it would take to fill up. Well, yesterday I cut and sliced 6 large zucchni's and that filled up all 9 trays. For squash, I cut and sliced 12 of them and that filled up 9 trays.

When I dried some snack sized bell peppers, it took 33 and it left me with enough trays to dry a handful of Goliath jalapeno peppers.


No comments:

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...