Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Whoopie pies

Some 15 years ago, we tried whoopie pies and liked them. For some reason I never made any until yesterday. I had seen something that looked like them and that got me thinking about them so I got online and found a recipe and made them.
They turned out delicious!

To make the cookies. This recipe makes 7 pies.
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1 medium egg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet. Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Stir milk and vanilla in another bowl. In another bowl (yes, this makes a lot of dirty dishes, but it's worth it!) Beat butter and sugar. Slowly add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately.
Spoon 1 Tablespoon mound of batter onto cookie sheet. 14 total. Or however many it makes for you. Bake until tops are puffed and cooky springs back when touched. It took my oven 10 minutes, but it may take less or more for yours.
Transfer to a rack to cool.
Then make filling-
1 egg white
2 tsp. Flour
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1 T. Milk
3/4 cup butter, softened.
Beat with mixer until fluffy. Spoon filling on cookie, top with another cookie. Wrap individual pies with Saran wrap. I was out so I put them on a pie pan and used a large Ziploc bag to keep fresh. When we consumed them that evening, they were awesome! The filling set up nicely too. I had enough filling leftover that I plan to make another batch soon.

No comments: