Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

How to sew a tissue holder with pictures tutorial

A friend of mine was on her way over to pick up a tea wallet for her daughter. She loves cats and I had a bit of material leftover from it so I decided to sew her up a tissue holder to match. I couldn't believe how fast it was to sew up.


To make one, you'll need:
a piece of material that is 6 by 8 inches.
8 inch piece of matching rick rack optional
sewing thread or machine



After you cut out your material, lay  it down with wrong side up and fold in 1/2 inch on both the short sides. If you are concerned about the edges fraying, either treat it with fray check or fold it under 1/4 inch and then again. I did not bother.

You can use your iron to press the 1/2 inch fold down, but I just finger pressed it and it worked fine.



Then, sew a seam down the middle of the folds you just made.
The dash marks show where you sew.




After that,  flip it over and fold one end up by 1 3/4 inches. And the other side, fold it up 2 inches.
It will look like this.



Then sew along the shorter sides. I used my pressure foot as the guideline.


Turn inside out and put some tissues inside.




Isn't that quick? I made four yesterday in less than 30 minutes!
If you cut out your material ahead of time, you could make more in the same amount of time.

These make great last minute gifts.

For a variation, if you have some rick rack you can sew a piece along the edge of one side like this before you sew down the side ends.






Until next time!

1 comment:

Patrick and Emily said...

Perfect! I was wondering how to make these! I knew it had to be easy. But DIdNT want to figure it out. Thank you!