Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Butterscotch brownies

I tried a new recipe today called butterscotch brownies. Found it in my Betty Crocker's Cooky Book that I got at the local flea market last year. We had the book when I was a child and I have fond memories of making our annual gingerbread house every Christmas.
Anyways,  I decided to get out this book the other day and try a new recipe. The name didn't sound too appealing since I'm not a fan of butterscotch. However, I'm so glad I made them as they were delicious. So much that we just consumed the whole pan!
Here is the recipe:
1/4 cup of butter, margarine, or oil.
1 cup of packed light brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
(which I omitted)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. If using butter, or margarine, melt over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar until blended; cool.
If using oil, just blend oil and sugar.
Stir in egg. Add flour and rest of ingredients. Spread in well greased pan, 8X8X2. Bake for 25 minutes. Do not overbake! Cut in bars while warm. Makes 18 bars about 2 1/2 x1".
Enjoy!

2 comments:

PurlingPenny said...

Seemed simple enough, so I made some. They are quickly disappearing here to Noel! :)

Noel Wright said...

aren't they good? I think I'll make another batch this week!