Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Nourishing Chicken soup


I've been making my favorite comfort soup the last month. I've been craving it and it's so yummy and nourishing to me. I can feel a difference when I eat it.

I love my new bowls that I got awhile back. The cheery pattern brightens my days. It came as a set with salad plates and dinner plates too. I bought some matching mugs to go with it. It's funny because when we first started looking for some plates that we liked, neither of us liked that design at all. Then when the time came to buy some, we both saw it with new eyes and fell in love with them. Now I can't imagine using anything else. 

To make the soup, I add a couple of drumsticks or chicken thighs, (anything with bones) and add enough water to cover. I boil it and then simmer it until the meat falls off the bones. I like to add plenty of pepper, two whole cloves and a dash of salt. While it's simmering, I gather up any vegetables that I have on hand. In this case, it was chopped celery, onions and grated carrots. Chunks of fresh ginger are nice too, especially if I have a cold. Then, I keep simmering it until the veggies are done. Halfway through I add in a couple tablespoons of brown or white rice. Cook until the rice is done. Top with green onions (if I have them). Strain out the cloves. A couple dashes of fish sauce to taste. I like to add 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder to it as well. This reminds me of a soup I had as a child for breakfast in Thailand.

It's a great dish to have any time of the day!

Mmmm! My favorite thing to have for lunch lately. 

No comments: