Wednesday, April 10, 2013

More thoughts on pot scrubbers- learn from my mistakes.

I've been making pot scrubbers for a couple years now and I still learn something new each time I make them. Aren't you glad you don't have to be the one wasting your netting and time and can just learn from my mistakes? lol!

Okay, so here is what I learned. I got some netting from a customer last week and got to cutting my strips. I found the material looking similar in folds to how it is when I get it from the store. I didn't think twice about it. I just cut up 7 strips and got busy making a pot scrubber.

Well, the first thing I noticed after I cut the 7 strips (thank goodness I didn't cut more!) is that the strips were very long. So, I measured them and they were 115 inches long.

Someone commented on my original pot scrubber post asking how long the strips were supposed to be. At the time, I thought it depending on the yardage you bought. Now, I know better.

The length of each strip will be the width of the material that you get. So, if you like me buy your netting from Walmart your strip length will be 72 inches long. I do not know how wide the netting is from places like Hobby Lobby or Joann's.

I found that scrubbers crochet up best using the original pot scrubber pattern if the strips are 72 inches long.

Since I had already cut the strips out with the 115 inch length, I went ahead and crocheted it up. The second thing I noticed is that these longer strips were creating a shiny scrubber similar to when I did this. I do not care for the shiny looking ones especially not with the original pattern because the strips don't seem to hold together as well. I worry they might slip out since the holes are larger.

As I crocheted the first strip up I noticed it was about as wide in diameter when I use the 72 inch length strips. So, at first I thought, well, I'll just use 6 strips instead of 7 but then the scrubber was looking too tiny, so I went ahead and used two strips. The end result? The scrubber came out floppy and at 5 inches in diameter!!! Much too large for my liking.

So, after many attempts at folding and unfolding the material trying to figure out which way the netting was supposed to go, I got the bright idea to look at one of my previous strips that I had cut from the Walmart netting. I never noticed this before, but the design of the netting faces a certain way:


Can you see this? The points to the hexagon shaped netting faces across. The first strips I cut they were pointing up and down. When I cut the second batch across, it measured about 60 inches long. Too short for my liking but the netting wasn't shiny looking and it turned out the way I like it though a bit smaller.

I just had to know how large to make each section so that it ended up the right size.

The first two strips will make a diameter of about 2 1/4 inches. Then, the next four strips will make a diameter of about 3 1/4 inches. If you follow these measurements you can use netting that comes on a roll, or in whatever width you want, though I like just buying the netting by the yard that is 72 inches wide.

The scrubber came out just 1/4 inch smaller than my previous ones, but they look the same. :-)





No comments:

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...