Friday, March 1, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is one of our favorite dishes to eat. I've used pork but I prefer chicken. I found the original recipe in a Taste of Home magazine but made a few changes to the recipe.

1 1/2 pounds cubed chicken breast or pork
2 T. oil
1/4 cup water
2 T. corn starch
pinch of salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 cup pineapple juice
1 can pineapple chunks or tidbits
1 T. soy sauce
1 onion
1 green bell pepper
2 carrots, sliced

Cook cubed chicken or pork in oil. Add water and cover and cook for 20 minutes or until done.

While chicken is cooking, in separate saucepan, make sauce ingredients by combining pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, cornstarch, pinch of salt, and soy sauce. Cook on medium heat until sauce is thickened. Set aside.

Add diced bell pepper, carrots, and onion to chicken. Cook until tender. Add in canned pineapple chunks. Slowly pour sauce over chicken mixture and heat through.

Serve over rice.

This makes enough for Nick and I to have for supper with leftovers for lunch.

No comments:

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...