Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Mrs. Lucy's chocolate chip cookies

When I was a teenager one of my friend's moms made the best chocolate chip cookies. She would always make them at our church functions. Any trip we would go on, there would always be a container of those famous cookies. They froze well too and always tasted like they were fresh from the oven.

I never did ask her for the recipe but years later after I got married, I found a recipe in one of my grandma's cookbooks. From what I remember about the famous cookies from high school, these are the closest to it.

These cookies always get rave reviews when I make them. They are chewy and delicious and they freeze well!

2 cups butter (not margarine or shortening)
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
5 cups oats (crushed in blender)
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
24 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
4 c. flour
1 (8 ounce) Hershey bar, chopped
3 c. nuts, chopped (optional)

Beat butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients. Then, add chocolates and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoons on un-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes. Makes 115 cookies. Recipe may be halved. I like to make the whole batch and freeze some.


1 comment:

PurlingPenny said...

Noel, I seriously need to avoid your recipes, I'll be gaining a ton of weight. :) This one would be perfect for gifting to people I'd like to bless.