Saturday, March 2, 2013

Biscuits and gravy

I make these biscuits every weekend to serve with gravy. A nice change from our regular breakfast of eggs, sausage and hash browns. It's the perfect amount for just the two of us.

Baking powder biscuits- from Betty Crocker

1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 T. butter
3/8 cup milk.

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Add enough milk to make soft dough and knead about 20 times. I put dough on piece of wax paper and bunch up to form a ball. Then roll out 1/4 inch thick and use biscuit cutter. I use my toaster oven to make these and just put them in the sheet as they fit in the pan. The original recipe says to place 1 inch apart for crusty sides or close together for softer sides.

With my 3 inch biscuit cutter, it makes 6 biscuits. Just the right amount for us to have for breakfast!

Bake 450 degrees for 10 minutes.


Look how tall they rose! So light and fluffy.

To make the gravy, I cook two sausage patties until done, breaking it up as it cooks. I add a bit of oil if it needs it. (2 Tablespoons total needed) Then, I add 2 Tablespoons of flour. Salt and pepper to taste. Slowly add 1 cup of milk and stir until thickened. Adding more milk if too thick. Recipe comes from my Betty Crocker book as well.

Serve over halved biscuits. Yum! Yum!

No comments:

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...