Saturday, February 9, 2013

Brothers, Breadsticks and Boxy bags

I was filling up water outside and caught Mittens and Freddie snuggling up for a nap on the old front porch. I ran back inside to get my camera and snapped this picture of them. Usually it's Freddie and Trixie taking a nap together. They seemed to have found a nice warm place to take a snooze!





I made some bread sticks to go with our spaghetti the other night. I used my favorite bagel recipe found below. I halved the batch and it made 5 decent sized ones. I brushed them with melted butter mixed with salt and garlic powder before baking while they rose and after they came out of the oven. They turned out awesome!



I finally sewed the "No guts" box style bag even though I have lots to learn when I sew my next one. I like how it turned out though. I recommend having a clear ruler like she suggests!  





As promised, here is the recipe for the bread sticks:

The original recipe is called Vegan Bagels. This is the full recipe not halved like I did.

I used my bread machine to mix the dough but you can do it by hand if you want. 

1 cup warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Put in order in bread machine. Let knead for 20 minutes. To make bread sticks, roll into sticks and let rise until doubled in size. You can brush with butter beforehand. I just mixed enough garlic powder and salt to taste and brushed it lightly on the dough. Then, I baked it at 350 degrees until it was done. About 15 minutes. 

To make bagels- which are also delicious!

After it has kneaded once in machine. Let sit for 20 minutes. Roll into ropes, wet ends together and stick together. I found that sometimes they stick and sometimes they don't. I also like to roll into a ball and poke a hole in the middle and stretch it out until it is bagel size. Then, let rest for 15 minutes. Fill large pot of wok with 3 inches of water. Place 2 Tablespoons sugar in pot, mix, and let boil. Add risen bagels to this mixture. Boil for 1 minute. Drain with slotted spoon each bagel and place on greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with toppings. Poppy seeds, onion bits, garlic bits, salt, whatever you want. Bake at 550 degrees for 15 minutes. 

Mmmmmm!




1 comment:

PurlingPenny said...

Love all your kitty photo's Noel.... they are a loveable bunch I'd say! This recipe looks simple enough, my daughter loves bagels and I've never tried to make home-made ones. I shall give it a whirl!

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...