Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bias tape, finished socks and Trixie

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day that wanted to find some cones for making a braided rug with. I called the quilt store to see if they had anything like it. The owner mentioned a bias tape maker. I had never heard of such a thing but as soon as she spoke of it, I knew I had to have one! lol

I saw them on amazon but planned to buy mine through the quilt store. (until...)




I went to a friend's house yesterday who told me that she had just ordered the same bias tape maker but accidentally bought it in the wrong size. So, I offered to buy it from her and did. Now, I've got to learn how to use it! The directions seem easy. I love using bias tape, but it's expensive if you use gobs of it. I've always wanted to make my own but just never did. That sounds like a fun project for the month of March...

I sewed this crochet hook case up this morning using some scrap material. I didn't even have to press anything since the piece that I found was already folded! I decided to try something new with the case. I sewed a piece to the top to act as guard to keep the hooks from falling out. It works pretty good! I'm going to mail it to a friend of mine tomorrow. I hope she likes it. (without the hooks, sorry!) :-)



Another thing I did differently was instead of using ties, I used a piece of elastic. I bought this special elastic for sewing tea wallets with. You just roll the case up and secure it with the elastic like this:



The measurements for the case are: 2 pieces- 10 3/4 by 7 3/4 and pocket piece: 10 3/4 by 8 1/4. Want a tutorial? It holds 9 hooks in each pocket but can hold more per pocket.

I thought I had posted a picture of the last socks that I made but then I couldn't find the picture anywhere. So, here they are:



I am ready for a break of sock knitting. Starting tomorrow I will attempt to knit a hexi-puff. More on that later! 


One of my favorite things to do is sit in the car on a sunny day and soak up the sunbeams. So, while Nick took a nap and caught up on some much needed sleep I sat in the car and read my book. I've been enjoying reading Debbie Macomber books again. 

I'm not the only one that likes to soak up the sunbeams. Soon as Trixie saw that the door was open, she helped herself and climbed in the car. 




She couldn't decide where she wanted to sit and eventually went back outside. It was cute watching her explore the car. 


 She sat up there a bit and then jumped down to the seat and gave herself a bath. 



Then, she was off to check out the front seats and dashboard.



Of course she had to look out the window and boast to the other kitties that she was getting a special treat.



She found the container that I had packed my breakfast in that morning when I went into town. She has quite the nose to find food! Had to throw the container out after she was done with it! lol

Mittens enjoying himself getting a belly rub. He's the only cat I've owned that likes to have his stomach scratched.



Until next time!
I

1 comment:

Tonia said...

I love your socks!! It is my dream to one day be able to make a pair myself....i'm just learning how to do the basic stitch now...i'm only 1/3 of the way done with my first scarf...i have a LOOOOONNNGGG way to go!! lol
I have a hard time working the needles and i can NOT even begin to read a pattern!!
tonia
toniasprimitiveroost.blogspot.com

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...