Saturday, November 24, 2012

Nick's hat.

I finished Nick's hat the other day along with two others just like it for a friend's 15 year old twin sons.






He wasn't sure what to think at first of the way it had to be folded up to fit, which made me wonder if I shouldn't make it so long. But, I think that's why it fits as good as it does. The yarn I used is from Brown Sheep Nature spun.Worsted weight. The felted pouches I also made were from this yarn and it hand felted so nice and quick! And best of all, made in the USA!

I tried and failed to make the "Top Down hat recipe" for a friend's son.  (one of these days I'll learn to make a gauge swatch first!) It was my first time making a hat "top down" style. It went fairly quick.  I started out knitting it on my size 8 double points, but switched over to my size 7 circular needles in the 16 inch length.  I was a bit worried that the hat would come out too small, but when I switched it over, I noticed my tension went from very tight to normal.

The hat turned out great, except it came out way too big. It was supposed to fit a teen and it covers my eyes! Oops!! So, back to the drawing board.

Speaking of the Cambridge watchcap hats, the first wool one I made I used size 6 needles the whole time (which is what the pattern called for). The second hat, I made with a size 6 but for the decrease I used a size 7. Mainly because I had borrowed a size 6 dpn before and couldn't for one reason or another borrow them again. And also, because I wanted to be sure it fit Nick's larger head. Well, it was still tight fitting, so I gave it to a friend of his and it fit perfect.

Then the third and fourth hats I made I used size 6 with a 7 dpn decrease for the guy's sons. They had all tried on the second hat and liked how it fit, so I kept up with the revised way.

Now this last hat I'm making I was asked to make it the same way as before, so I guess the size 6 dpn's I just bought will never get used! lol Before I bought them, I was constantly finding patterns I wanted to make that called for them, and now I can't remember what they were. The brand of these needles are Brittany's and I really like them a lot! They are made in the USA and have a 5 year replacement guarantee.

Until next time!

1 comment:

PurlingPenny said...

Nick's hat is great! I think he'll be very cosy in it. Sounds like you've been very busy!

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...