Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

How to cut t-shirt yarn into one long continuous strip


Recently I learned how to cut t-shirt yarn so that you get one long continuous strip instead of having to connect each loop together. I had read in the past about how to cut one long spiral strip, but never could quite figure it out until now. I suggest practicing with a grocery bag instead of wasting a t-shirt. (like I did until I got the hang of it!)

I'm getting ready to make another rag rug though I haven't decided how I want to make it yet. Will I sew one? Crochet one? Knit one? Stay tuned because I will be talking about this later. I probably won't start it until the new year since I've got too many unfinished projects laying around. 

Anyways, here's how to do it:

Take your t-shirt and cut off the top under the arms and the edging on the bottom. I gave away those extra pieces to a friend who is making a rug herself and doesn't mind the connecting of strips. Now that I know how to do this, I wanted minimal knots in my rug. Obviously, I will still have to connect each color together (if I crochet or knit the rug) but 10 or so knots is better than 50! lol!


Now fold it so that the fold is at the bottom. But don't let the top touch each other. Leave about a 1 1/2 inch space like this:






It will look like this when you are done:


Now, I unfold the strips so it looks like this:



Next, slip your arm into the loops like this:


As it hangs on your arm, you'll see the gap left from where you folded it. Follow the dotted lines for cutting. See how you cut it at an angle? If you cut it straight up and down you will just have loops. Cutting it at an angle creates the long continuous strip. The last one that you cut will just be cut off the edge of the material.







Until next time!














No comments:

Post a Comment