Enough dough to spare

Wednesday I made a batch of 100% whole wheat bread dough using one of my favorite recipes.

Slightly sweet but simple whole wheat bread tastes great and easy to make especially if you have a bread machine which I recommend. If you try to knead this out by hand, you'll have to use more flour than is called for in the recipe just to make it easy to handle and by that point, your bread will turn out like a lump of hard brick when done.

I halved the recipe and put it in my Oster Breadmachine which I absolutely love! I seriously thought about saving up the $279 to buy the "Zo" machine but then they had this one on clearance at our Walmart for $50 and I just wanted to make bread! I have been so pleased with the Oster machine. I have used it almost daily for over 2 years now and it's still going strong. Just recently, I did contact the company and asked about getting a pan replacement and they sent me one free of charge! It was a little different looking and at first I thought they sent the wrong size, but it fit and so far so good!

I am impressed with this machine because when you read about the "Zo", it talks about how it handles 100% whole wheat bread dough better than the cheaper models. I've never had any problem with this machine. In the past, other brands I've had, sounded a little strained when mixing the whole wheat dough, but not this one.

One of my favorite things about this machine is the "bake" feature. I know I've talked about it way too many times, but it's so darn handy! Since we don't have a working oven, I do all my baking with this machine. I've baked banana bread, pumpkin bread, apple cake, "muffins", cornbread, brownies, green bean casserole, meatloaf and more in this machine. I wasn't sure how it would bake because the manual doesn't say how hot it gets, but I just test with a toothpick to know when it's done. Sometimes I have to reset the button but most of the time it's done in under 30 minutes.

I've made the Expressbake bread many times too.

But back to my story, on Wednesday I made a half batch of the Simple sweet bread and used just the dough cycle. Since it's just the two of us, I just wanted to make about 6 rolls and so I pinched off the right amount. Rolled it into balls and set it aside to rise for about 30 minutes. Then, I took the remainder dough and put it in an oiled bowl and covered it with a lid and put it in the refrigerator. I wasn't sure if my experiment would even work but I had to know.

The next day I rolled up 6 more rolls and set them to rise in the pan for an hour this time. They were still cold from being in the refrigerator overnight. Then, I baked them for 30 minutes as I had done the day before. They turned out awesome! You couldn't tell the dough was a day old. I wasn't sure if there would be any rising power left in the yeast, but the rolls came out just as light and fluffy as before.

One thing I love about that recipe is that the rolls aren't hard as rocks when you eat them as leftovers. Not that we usually have any leftovers, but they are soft the next day.

Rolls rising. (as you can see I remove the bread kneader since it's not needed in there.)

Piping hot out of the "oven".

I can't wait to get a working oven, as I will be doing so much more baking then!


Comments

PurlingPenny said…
This is so cool, I've never tried this feature and now I'm inspired too. Would be great for those extra hot days that you don't want to turn on an oven. The rolls look great!
Noel Wright said…
Thanks! I like to use my bread machine outside for when it's really hot.

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber