Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Sewing bags

This morning I decided to finally tackle sewing a cloth bag. I've been looking at ideas all week long. So, I finally decided to just jump right in and try making one. I had some material that a ravelry friend sent me when I swapped a dish cloth with her, that I thought looked like the perfect size. I have been wanting a bag to use for holding my small to medium sized knitting projects in.

I had some old jeans that the zipper broke on and used it for one side and the material for the other. I intended to sew a lining in the bag, but completely forgot until I was almost done with it. I took the finished bag into town today but I can see how it's going to be a problem to not have the lining in it. The material is cotton on one side and heavy thick jean material on the other. I'm worried that the handles on the cotton side are going to rip off.

So, tomorrow, I intend to rip out the whole bag on the bottom part and try to sew a lining in. I'm not really sure how I'm going to do it yet, but it will be interesting for sure! I wasn't even sure how to make the bag in the first place, but love how it turned out! I learned how to make a flat bottom bag by googling some sites including this one. I had no idea it was so easy!

After I finish this bag, again, I plan on making more! A friend of mine gave me some used clothing that will make the perfect material for more bags. I want to sew a dedicated library bag and a smaller project bag for taking socks. And if I get good enough, I want to make some for friends, but I've got a ways to go yet! :-)

happy crafting!

pictures to follow!

No comments: