Thursday, May 24, 2012

Apple Cake = Wonderful!

I finally got around to making the apple cake and boy did it turned out delicious! When I say "cake" it is more like a bread in the term of banana bread. Not bread like you eat on sandwiches... We love our banana bread cold out of the refrigerator, so I'm planning on taking what's left of the apple cake and putting it in to get cold too. It tastes pretty good warm out of the oven though!

I don't usually take a new recipe that I've never made before and start changing it. Usually I wait until I've made it at least once, but not today. Just felt like experimenting.

Here is the recipe I came up with.

1 cup brown sugar (originally, I had only put in 3/4 cup but when I tasted the batter it was hardly sweet, so I added in 1/4 cup to the batter)
2 cups chopped apples (I used my pampered chef hand chopper to get the chunks nice and tiny.






Put in a bowl and let soak for one hour. Stir before setting the timer. I had chopped up more apples than I needed so I added a dab of brown sugar to my bowl and enjoyed a yummy snack!



After an hour was up, I  took the mixture and put it in my food processor and pureed it.

Then,  I put it back in the mixing bowl and added:

1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

I mixed it all together and put it in my bread machine and baked it for an hour. Yum!

If you make this in a regular oven, double the batch, (add 3 eggs instead of 2) and bake in a greased loaf pan until done. I tested my cake with a toothpick in the center until it came out almost clean.





You can still see tiny chunks of apple pieces in it. 

I love using my bread machine to bake yummy goodies! Oster is so nice as they sent me a free bread machine pan the other day as my other one was starting to peel!

No comments:

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...