Thursday, April 12, 2012

Oster Express Bake bread machine

I finally looked up the model to see which one I had, and I'm glad I did. I read the reviews on the link I gave yesterday and there were so many bad reviews on the other machine. That is not the one I have!

One of the things I learned when making bread with this machine is using the Express bake feature. It bakes a loaf of bread in under an hour. I don't use it very often but always pleased when I do. One of the ingredients it calls for is "rapid rise" yeast. After having to remember to buy "special" yeast to make the bread, I googled the yeast to see what the big deal was. And what did I learn? It's the same exact thing as the other yeast! The only thing about using this recipe is that you use twice as much yeast. But no worries about buying some with a "special" name anymore. Since I buy my yeast by the pound, now I don't have to worry about buying two different types.

Speaking of yeast, my favorite brand to buy is: SAF Instant yeast. I like it because I only pay $2.99 for a pound of it. It lasts me way over a year in the freezer or refrigerator. You don't to mix it first with warm water and then slowly add it to the rest of the ingredients. Nope! You just add it straight to whatever you're making. With my machine, I add the liquid ingredients first and then the dry ingredients. Then the yeast goes on top. The manual for my bread machine makes a big deal about not letting the yeast touch the liquid. I don't worry about it at all, I mean sooner or later it's going to touch! lol

Now, the amazon price says it is close to $10 but I've never ever paid that much. Now, I haven't any for awhile now, but I'd be shocked to discover that the price is that high. The place I buy mine is at the Mennonite bulk food stores around the area. You can buy yeast in teeny tiny jars at Walmart for about half the amount and I think they charge about $8! That is too expensive! The prices seem to be dropping a little but that's what they charged back when I bought the bread machine.

I can't wait to try the "jam" function this summer when I can go pick some fresh strawberries at the local pick your own farm place. There have been rumors that they were going to close years ago, but I'm so glad they are still around! Nick said he might plant me a few strawberry beds this year. I hope so! I love berries of all kinds. I once tried some homegrown raspberries and they were delicious!

1 comment:

PurlingPenny said...

Hello again Noel! I am baking bread in my oster machine as I type this and it's smelling wonderful in here. It's called heritage bread and has wholewheat, white,and rye flours in it along with cornmeal. My oster is a very old model, likely close to twenty years old. I know some day it will give out, and I'll be very sad as it's been the greatest machine. It makes bread with a texture that we like. I tried out a few machines before happening upon this one with a friend's recommendation. Anyway, people do indeed still use their bread machines... I like to know what's in what I'm eating if possible. I do have a lot of recipes for my bread machine if you are ever looking for something specific. In the meantime.... I'm glad to know there's a new model out there that makes good bread! Thanks for the yeast tip. Next time I'm near a bulk food store I'll have a look. Happy baking!

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...