Friday, March 30, 2012

Our garden

As I said earlier, Nick dug out our garden space during spring break this month. I'm very excited!!

Here it is after he got it dug out. The week after it rained for the whole week, but Wednesday it was finally dry enough to plant some seeds!


The dirt that has the pile of sticks on top is an area where there used to be a tree. Nick piled up charcoal on top and around the tree stump and burned it to the ground. I'm planning on putting an herb garden in that spot.

Nick took some pvc pipe and made a frame and then took some string to mark where to plant the rows and left it in the garden so we know where everything will be coming up at. I'll try and take a picture of it later to show you.

He planted beets, spinach, radish, lettuce, cabbage and peas. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some more pictures to share.

He dug a trench also to plant some potatoes in on the other side of this plot. He had to cut the potatoes last night and in a few days they'll be ready to plant.

My basil is growing bigger every day. I am hoping for a large harvest as I have been craving pesto for some time now! lol

I also planted some lemon balm seeds that I got from a friend the other day in an indoor pot. I was super happy to learn that it is an invasive plant and I'm planning on planting some outside as well. I don't mind that it will spread! My mint died from last winter so I'm going to have to get some more.

I read about an idea for a tea garden in one of my Ravelry groups. Never thought of doing that before, but I love the idea! What kinds of herbs should I grow? I think it would be neat to have different herb garden themes. A medicinal patch, a culinary one, a tea garden, and what else?

Speaking of gardens, this is from our garden in Kansas from July 27, 2007. Where has the time gone?!
We had a pretty good year that year but the weeds sure tried to take over.

No comments:

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...