Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Progress made

I've spent most of today catching up on dishes and housekeeping and putting tags on all the items I will be selling locally. I've got a few combs and beaks left to put on my chickens but those will be done tonight. I hope to visit my friend tomorrow to pass on the items to sell.





Yesterday I did not work on any knitted cloths as I had planned to. Instead I got 5 inches done on Nick's hat. I was quite pleased with how much I got done on it. I learned (again) that if I can just set my focus on one project at a time, that I can get way more accomplished. So, I'm taking a break on all other started projects minus the combs and beaks of the four chickens and working only on Nick's hat. Since his head measures larger than most, I am going to use Size 7 needles for the decrease part. I don't think it will be that much difference from the size 6 that I am using now. Plus, I don't want to have to buy any more needles right now.

The first hat that I made (this Cambridge Style) took me almost 2 weeks to finish. At the rate I'm going, I should have it done in one. Sadly, the hat I made for the friend has been lost so he's asked me to make him another. While it's not my most favorite pattern in the world, knitting it has gotten much easier. In fact, I often find myself knitting in the back loop instead of the usual front! lol

I'm planning on knitting up some hats in the Nature Spun Worsted yarn to try and sell this winter. The 100% wool yarn made in the USA is a nice plus. I think the hats will fit a wide range of sizes and will be super warm for the wintry woes. If I can't find anyone to sell them to, I will give them away. I love sharing my love of knitting with others!

If anyone has any ideas on how to make a mannequin's head, be sure to let me know! I know it would be easier to just have a true mannequin but since they are very costly, I will have to improvise instead. I'd like to try and sell some both locally and online for next winter.

I will be taking it extra slow and easy this next week as my right hand heals from doing too much knitting during spring break! It started out feeling numb and tingly and is just a little sore to the touch. From what I've read on the net and talked to friends, I need to take more breaks during knitting.  So, blogging may slow down a bit. At least as far as knitting topics go. :-)

Update on hand- I took the week off of knitting and learned a few things in the process. #1- There is life outside of knitting. I've taken up reading and pursuing other hobbies and enjoying it immensely. #2- I've found within myself the ability to just sit and do nothing. Well, almost nothing- learning the art of  meditating but not doing things with my hands as I thought was impossible at first. #3 I have a better sense of direction as to where I want to take my knitting which I hope will be obvious in the posts to come.


No comments: