Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

How to sew a crochet hook case

Before I got my new sewing machine, all I could think about was all the things I couldn't wait to make. A handy crochet hook case was one of those things. But after I got my machine, I worried that I wouldn't be able to make one. I don't know why. I made two crayon rolls for my niece and nephew that turned out fine. 

So, this morning after a nice big cup of coffee, I grabbed my courage and some flannel lined pants that I was saving for a craft and began cutting. I cut along the seam of one of the legs all the way up to the top. 





Then, I grabbed my iron and ironed both sides. I had hoped that the flannel wasn't sewn or glued to the pants. It wasn't. The only thing was that it was all wrinkled and uneven, so I just ironed both pieces.




I really didn't have any idea how long I wanted it. I poured over SO many patterns that all were different yet the said the same thing. Which I found frustrating and stressful. So, I just made up my own pattern as I went along. 

My crochet hooks were about six inches long and I wanted the pockets to be deep and narrow.

I cut out 2 pieces that measured 9 by 13 inches in the khaki material. Then, I cut out a piece of flannel that was 10 by 13. I wanted the material to be tall enough to be able to fold down to secure the hooks. I noticed when I made the crayon rolls that they had to be carried just a certain way or else the crayons slid right out of the pockets, even with it tied. 

I cut out a piece of material 4 by 19 inches long for the ties.  I sewed it with the right sides facing together and left an opening on one end. Turned it inside out. Pressed it with the iron and folding the insides together, I sewed it down and around the edges to make it lay flat. I ended up with 2 inch wide ties and about 18 inches long. (Only, if I could do it again, I would make it at least 25 inches long to begin with!)






What I liked about the flannel is that I didn't have to mark any lines. I just used the lines of the flannel as guidelines which worked out great!

I folded the flannel piece in half (10 by 13) and laid the material with the fold side on top and the raw edges at the bottom and laid it on the khaki colored piece with the right side showing. Then, I sewed the pockets based on the size hooks I had. I mainly use my hooks: "G", "H" and "I", but wanted to store my larger size needles too.


For the "G", "H" and "J" hooks, I sewed the pockets 3/4 inch wide. I didn't want them all the same size though you can make them however large you want. Then, for the "J"- "N" size, I made the pockets 1 inch wide. For the "P"- 1 1/8 inch wide and the "Q"- 1 1/2 inches wide.

I didn't start sewing the first pocket right along the edge because I would be turning it inside out. See note on picture to where I sewed the first pocket. I would say it measured about an inch from the edge. I hadn't planned on using the first pocket as a real pocket but found it held my size "D" hook nicely. -I didn't even know I had a "D" hook! lol





After I sewed the pockets and made sure to back stitch at the top of the pocket on each one, I positioned my ties to sew on. I wanted to measure where the ties would be AFTER the flap was folded down. There was about 2 3/4 inches on either side. 

This picture actually shows the ties in place before the pockets were sewn, but I forgot to snap a picture afterwards. 



Then, I took my other piece of khaki material and with right sides facing together, I sewed a 1/4 inch seam along the edge all the way around and left a 3 inch hole at the top to turn it inside out.



Turning it inside out and making sure that all the stitching was secure. I folded the ends on the top piece and then top stitched it about 1/4 inches around. I was worried that my machine couldn't handle the thickness and might break a needle but I had no problem whatsoever with it. 


Lastly, I just trimmed all my stitches.

Finished it measures 8 1/2 by 12 1/2. 






It holds 10 of my most used hooks.

Ready to go!


By the way, I learned that my larger sized hook,  "Q" did not fit in there, but that's okay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.