Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thai Yellow Chicken Curry recipe

Last Saturday I made a nice big pot of yellow chicken curry to have for lunch and to share with a friend. It turned out delicious as always. I just wish I had made more! It was gone too soon.

I got the recipe from my favorite Thai book. I was privileged to meet her and have her autograph my copy when we lived in Kansas. So far every recipe I've made from from her book, we've loved!

This is how I make mine:

You'll need 2 cans coconut milk:



Doesn't matter which brand, this is just what happened to be in my cupboard. I was kind of disappointed when I saw that the "organic" one contained water as its first ingredient and then coconut milk. The one on the left, did have a preservative in it, but coconut milk was listed first and had a much richer taste.

Next, I use red curry paste. About 2 Tablespoons. More if you want it hotter, but remember as it cooks the heat does intensify a little. I always in the past, keep adding more and then by the time the dish is done, it's way too hot to eat. -when I use the good brand of curry that is...

Yes, I know it seems weird to use red curry paste and not yellow but the cookbook said that yellow curry paste equaled to red curry paste and curry powder. I know they sell yellow curry paste, but I've not tried it. I just know how wonderful it tastes the way I do it and don't plan to change it now.  :-)

My favorite red curry paste is this brand.  I like it for its heat and flavor. However, I had this in my cupboard:


It was okay but did not have the heat like I was used to. I even tried it straight from the can and it was hardly anything spicy. Another thing I like about the first brand is that it comes in a plastic container and inside a bag which I can just seal off and keep in the refrigerator. With the canned curry, I have to put it in something and then freeze it. Doesn't seem like it keeps as long in the refrigerator. But anyways...

I made the mistake of making this in a medium sized saucepan and had to run to my neighbor's to see about borrowing a large stock pot from her. That is definitely on my "to buy" list. (a larger cooking pot!)

This is by far my favorite yellow curry brand:



To make dish:

Place 2 cans of coconut milk in medium to large stock pot. Bring to boil over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons curry paste and 1 Tablespoons yellow curry powder and mix well.

Slice 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts into thin strips and put in same pot along with 2 potatoes, cut into quarters and 1 cup of water. Cook for 5 minutes.

Reduce heat and add 1 large onion, cut into quarters, 1/3 cup fish sauce, and 1/4 cup sugar. (I prefer the Squid brand of fish sauce over others.)

Simmer covered for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and chicken is done.

Makes enough for 2-4 people.

I like this dish served over hot rice. (Jasmine preferred)

Mmmmm! This is making me crave the dish just talking about it!

No comments: