Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Red Beans and Rice

This morning I loaded up the crock pot with some red beans to have "Red beans and rice" for supper. I made this dish awhile back and am trying it out in the new crock pot.

The recipe:
1 pound package dried red beans
water
salt pork, ham hocks or sausage cut small
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
3-4 cups water
6 ounces tomato paste
8 ounces tomato sauce
4 garlic cloves minced

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain. Discard soaking water.

I'm always amazed at how the teeny tiny red beans transform into a lighter pink bean in the morning!

Mix together all ingredients in slow cooker.

Cover. Cook on Low 10-12 hours on low or until beans are soft. Serve over rice.

These beans freeze well.
You can substitute canned red kidney beans. Cook 1 hour on High and then 3 hours on low.

recipe from: Margaret Moffitt  (Fix it and Forget it Cookbook)

I borrowed my neighbor's copy so much that I finally went to Half Price book store and bought my own copy for $5!

When I first made this dish, I wasn't sure what to think of it. The pre-packaged beans and rice meals we sometimes eat are seasoned with Cajun style seasonings. This is not, obviously, and took getting used to. But now we both like it a lot! I like to buy this sausage to add to the beans.

No comments:

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...