Friday, October 28, 2011

Lemon herb chicken in the crock pot

This morning, I decided to make lemon herb chicken. All week long, I kept forgetting to buy the lemon but with Nick being off of work today I thought it was the perfect day to try out the new crock pot. In the past, I have not felt comfortable leaving the crock pot home alone to do its job. Even on the lowest setting, the lid would rock back and forth and bubble like crazy. The brand we had was Rival. This is "the original crock pot brand".

And now since this morning, we have been tortured by the sight and smells of the chicken cooking in the pot. It smells so good! And won't be ready until about 6 this evening.

Okay, enough talk, here's the recipe:

One 4-6 pound roasting chicken
1-2 Tablespoons butter
The juice of one lemon
1/2 cup of chopped onion
2 Tablespoons parsley
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/3 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place onions in cavity of chicken. Rub skin with butter. Place chicken in crock pot. Squeeze lemon juice over chicken.  Sprinkle herbs and seasoning on top.



Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours. You'll know it's done when the meat starts to pull away from the bone. Resist the urge to open and check on the chicken until it's time. Otherwise, your chicken may be dry

Finally got an after shot, only we had started eating it by the time I remembered! lol


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your chicken sounds so good i am thinking of trying it. i have a question though, what type of vegetables did you cook it on? curts mom

Noel Wright said...

I added some carrots. Made mashed potatoes and gravy to go with it. I've also added small red potatoes to this dish at other times of making it. I found that regular white potatoes fall apart unless I add them halfway through cooking it, but I don't like to open the lid when I'm making the chicken. Hope you make it. We love this dish and I make it at least once a month if not every other week.

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...