Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Potato soup

I made this for the first time when we moved to Texas to live with and care for my grandma. Nick and I were not married very long and he was unsure of the recipe because he's not a fan of soup. However, he loved this recipe and it's now a favorite of ours when it's cold outside. I clipped the recipe out of a Taste of Home Magazine.

Ingredients:
6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks
2 quarts of water
1 onion chopped
6 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
6 Tablespoons flour

In a large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots, and celery in 2 quarts of water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid and setting veggies aside. In same kettle, saute onion in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Gently stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup or more of reserved liquid until soup is desired consistency.
Makes 8-10 servings.

This may take a lot of pots to make but the taste is definitely worth it!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Whenever I make potato soup, my hubby can't just stop at one or maybe even 2 bowls. Then he complains of a sore stomach. He just loves my potato soup. I'll even add in bits of ham if I have that left over. Then I make biscuits to go with it.

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...