How to knit a basic hat

These can be made in one solid color or with stripes.


This was one of the first hat patterns I learned to knit. A friend shared the pattern with me. 

First, you need a size 8 needle. 
And you need some worsted weight yarn. I used Plymouth Encore Worsted for this hat.
I prefer straight needles and just sew the side seam up using the mattress stitch. This way you know which way is front/back.

Cast on 84 stitches.
K1, P1 rib for 4 rows.

Then switch to stockinette stitch and knit for 34 rounds. Add in new colors as you desire.

Decrease-
1- *K2tog, k4  *repeat across, 70 sts
2- Purl across
3- *K2tog, k3 *repeat across, 56 sts
4- Purl across
5- *K2tog, k2, *repeat across, 42 sts
6- Purl across
7- *K2tog, k1, *repeat across, 28 sts
8- Purl across
9- *K2tog, *repeat across, 14 sts
10- *K2tog (7 times), 7 sts left

Cut yarn. With needle, run tail through remaining stitches and sew down sides with mattress stitch. Weave in ends.

Variations-
Sometimes I will make the ribbing part 8 rows instead of 4 and just subtract it from the stockinette part so I have the same number of rows. I've also used one strand of fancy fur yarn when I've done the ribbing mixed with the worsted weight yarn and just dropped it when I started the stockinette part. Or you can start using the fancy fur part on just the stockinette part. I also made this hat in all ribbing, and then did the decrease. This way, it's very stretchy and fits a wide range of sizes. It fit my head as well as my 4 year old niece at the time.

I like the mattress stitch because it creates an invisible seam on the outside of your work. The inside has a small seam. 

Here is a good video I found on youtube that shows how to do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial