Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homemade Chili Recipe

I was wanting to make some chili this week and found this in one of my crock pot cookbooks. I'm always leery of trying new recipes because I'm never sure if I'll like it or not. This one was a hit at our house! Much better than just opening up a can of chili- the way we usually do!

The recipe came from my "Fix it and forget it" Cook book. I love this book! I got my copy at a Half Price book store for $5!

Slow cooker chili- Original recipe, my revised below:

2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes,
2 cans (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
2-3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves crushed
2 medium onions chopped

Put everything in crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. For more heat, add cayenne.


I made it this morning around 5:30 and used half the amount of ground beef, 2 cans pinto beans, 2 cans diced tomatoes. The kind that comes pre-seasoned with garlic, onion and basil. I did not drain it. My crock pot seems to cook at a higher temperature and I was worried without all the extra juice that the bottom would burn. Oh, and I only used 2 Tablespoons of chili powder. I thought I'd add in more seasonings and pepper but when I tasted it, it was perfect! Not too spicy but with plenty of flavor.

Because the tomatoes already had onions and garlic in it, I omitted the fresh garlic and onions in the original recipe.

We ate at 11. It did not take the whole time to make but I imagine if it could have simmered even longer it would have tasted even better with all the spices mingled in there!

We really liked it and will eat the leftovers tomorrow. I think this recipe would be good served over hot dogs as "chili-dogs" too.

After lunch, I washed out my crock pot and put in a whole acorn squash to cook. I just washed and rinsed the squash and sprayed the pan to be sure it wouldn't stick and set it on high. The original recipe said low for 10-12 hours but I'm wanting to eat it tonight for supper with our meal, so I'm hoping it will be done! Another recipe I got from the book above. After it's cooked, it said to cut in half, scoop out seeds top with butter.

If you like crock pot recipes, be sure to check back here cause I'll be posting up more recipes!

No comments:

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...