Dish cloths turning sour?

I used to have a big problem with my dishcloths getting a sour smell to them. A few tips and tricks I learned:

1. When I knit dish cloths, I use a larger needle size. The tighter weaved ones tend to sour more quickly. These dish cloths are just as soft and absorbent as the others but without the stench!

2. I try to remember to shine my sink when I get done with a load of dishes. I use vinegar and baking soda for this and both seem to help the take out any odors that were lingering from the dish washing.

3. Then, I make sure to rinse the cloth after I get done. Even if I used plenty of soap, there is still some food particles stuck on the cloth.


When washing them, I use Purex. The kind that contains alternative bleach. I haven't had any problem with mine since.

I also use a fresh dish cloth for each day of the week. If I do end up using a dish cloth for more than one day after I've rinsed it, I hang it to dry on my oven rack. So, it doesn't sit wet in my sink, never balled up at the bottom of my sink with a pile of dirty dishes on top! lol

Update- I switched to Tide recently and started noticing my cloths turning sour again. Not sure if it's the detergent or what, but yesterday I washed a load and put some bleach in the wash. Then, when I did the rinse cycle I poured in some vinegar. It had a faint vinegar smell when it came out of the wash. I hung it on the clothesline all day and let the sun shine on it for several hours. They came off the line softer than usual and smelled clean and fresh!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber