Monday, September 26, 2011

How to make soft dinner rolls

I found this recipe 6-7 years ago when a friend asked me to help her make some "Golden Corral" rolls. She usually goes there to buy the rolls for their annual Easter dinner but wanted to make them instead. We made a huge batch of them and they were loved by all her family. They may not be exactly like "Golden Corral" rolls but they are nice and fluffy and soft! I got the recipe here:


Ingredients: Servings:15
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon dry milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 3 teaspoons yeast
  1. Place ingredients in order given.
  2. Set bread machine on dough setting.
  3. Once cycle is done-- roll out into 15 balls (mine generally are about golfball size).
  4. Place in greased 9x13 pan.
  5. Let rise until doubled in size in warm place.
  6. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
**I like to brush the rolls with butter when they come out of the oven.

When my bread machine broke, I still made these by hand. I just kneaded them accordingly to my machine's instructions (as if I was the bread machine) and they turned out great!

to do by hand:

Mix ingredients together. I like to use instant yeast so I don't have to worry about when to add it.  I buy it at an Amish/Mennonite bulk food store for $3. Can't beat that price. You can buy bulk yeast at Walmart for half the amount for double the price. This instant yeast lasts me a year too!

Knead for 15 minutes.
Let rest an hour.
Knead for 18 minutes. 
Let rest for 20 minutes.
Punch down. 
Proceed to step #3.

Here they are out of the oven!

No comments:

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...