Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Making Plantain Salve part 3

Well, I needed a distraction the night that Ginger disappeared so I decided to make plantain salve then. It hadn't been the full 6 weeks but it also stayed a lot warmer in the camper during this time, so I figured it was okay. The 6 week time period is just what I picked for myself. It is by no means an exact thing or anything.

First, I strained the oil and set it aside. I was quite pleased to see that it was a nice green color. When I've made it in the past without steeping the leaves, it's more like a yellowish color. I knew that by it being green that it had drawn more of the good stuff out!

Then, I grabbed my beeswax block and grated some in a bowl. I bought this block of beeswax for $6 at the farmer's market in Kansas and as you can see there is a ton of it left. Now, I don't have exact beeswax amounts because I want you to make the salve how YOU want it done. If it's too soft, add more beeswax. If it's too hard, add more oil.



Grate and set aside.

In a double broiler pan, heat up oil. Heat it up slowly just until boiling point. I like to then turn off the heat and add in the beeswax- which is flammable. I used about 3 Tablespoons to start with. Then added more as I needed it. Stir until it's dissolved. If it cools and it's not dissolving then turn the heat back on low and try again.

You can add a few squeezed Vitamin E capsules in at this time. Or add some drops of tea tree oil or other scent. I just like it plain and simple and we use it up within a year so it keeps just fine.

Put a drop of the salve on a plate and let it cool. Some people say to put it in the freezer but I've found when you do that it gives an inaccurate test, because it gets harder than it will just sitting at room temperature.

Test it and see if it's the thickness that you want it. If it is, then pour it into your jars.

As it cools in your jars, it will change to solid. I love the way it looks!



That's it! See, wasn't that super easy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is Plantain Salve and what do you use it for?
Thanks! Debbie in Oklahoma

Noel Wright said...

Plantain is a herb that grows wild in my yard and many other places. Around our house, we use it for taking the ouch out of a wasp sting, -husband can surely agree as he was stung in the head by a wasp. I grabbed some fresh plantain and squeezed the juice onto the area and within seconds the pain was gone! It also relieves itching from mosquito bites, helps with diaper rash (as my friends with kids have told me), chapped lips and hands and more!

Fresh plantain is best, but when it doesn't grow (like in winter) I make salve or plantain oil so I can still benefit from it.

Do not confuse the herb plantain with the banana like fruit, plantain. They are two different things. There are two types of plantain that grow around here. The long skinny leaves have more juice than the wider fatter ones. You can google it and find a picture easily.

Some people are surprised to know that plantain seeds also called psyllium husks are found in products such as Metamucil.

Any more questions?