Grandma's Favorite Dish cloth with pictures

When I first learned to knit, it was with this pattern. In fact, I was given a dish cloth years ago and it was using it that I decided I wanted to learn to knit! There are so many variations of it but they are all pretty much the same. You start in one corner, work to the middle and then start decreasing. I once made a baby blanket using this pattern and some baby yarn.

It was a last minute baby shower gift idea and I knit it on larger needles  and just knit it across until it was the size I wanted it to be. I was aiming for a smaller sized baby blanket just the right size for baby to toddle around with as he got older. I mixed one blue yarn with one white and love the way it turned out but forgot to take a picture of it when I was done.  :-(  Super soft and stretchy! In fact, it was actually pretty heavy and I almost thought too heavy since I had to be careful not to let it hang on the needles and stretch it out. But all in all, I liked it and plan to make more later.

I like this pattern because it's so easy for beginners to do. It doesn't take much thought so I can knit one while watching television or talking with friends. I like the more complicated patterns where I have to concentrate really hard not to mess up, but sometimes I just want to knit. And this is the one I use.

Sometimes called Grandma's favorite Dish cloth pattern.

You can use whatever size needles you want. I usually use anywhere between a 6-9 depending on how tight a weave I want it to be.

Cast on 3.

Knit one row across.

Knit 2, yo (yarn over), knit to the end.

Repeat this until you have 48  (or the desired size you want) stitches across.

The yarn over's create the eyelet hole and give you another stitch. 


Then it's time to decrease.

Knit 1, Knit two together, yo (yarn over), knit two together, knit rest of the row.

Repeat until you have 5 stitches left.

Then bind off.

I made some small sized baby washcloths as well. I used Paton's Bumble bee baby cotton yarn and size 6 needles. I didn't start decreasing it until I had 36 stitches.

Have fun! Send me a link when you get done so I can see your dish cloth!

More pictures here, here and here.

Comments

Noel Wright said…
The dimensions of this dish cloth are whatever you want it to be. Before you start to decrease, just measure it from one corner across to see how wide it is. Then start to decrease.
Erin said…
thanks enjoyed making this :)

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial