So, my neighbor's daughter came over the other day and asked if I'd knit her a hat. Not just any hat but a beret. She is needing one for a school project. So, we looked online forever for a pattern and didn't find one that night but later the next day I found one here. I thought it was a sign since the girl's blog I found is named Hannah and the girl I'm knitting a beret for is also Hannah. lol
So, I got out some scrap yarn and knit one up. It was good but too big, so then I grabbed some more yarn and knit it up a tad smaller by casting on only 72 instead of 84. It was the right size but had more of a point than what was wanted.
Just when I was fixing to give up, I noticed there was another beret pattern with an eyelet design. I had a feeling that the eyelet beret pattern would be more acceptable since it's so elegant looking and I was right. Hannah's mom loved it!
By then, I had run out of my brown yarn and had some dark grey and burgundy leftover from a school themed beanie hat. So, I knit it up using that, but the only problem was that Ginny wanted it to have more slouches to it. So, rather than have to buy some yarn (since I used up my worsted weight stash) I simply took it out and made it longer.
I intended to only take it out before the decreasing part but I messed it up and had to take it nearly all apart!
I wasn't sure how much longer to make it, so I just based it off of the first beret pattern and made it 5 1/2 inches just to be safe.
When Hannah tried it on, it fit perfect! Now I just need to knit it in the right color, which is black. I took apart the first beret I made and thought I'd make either the eyelet one up or try a new decrease on the first pattern.
Hannah from the blog wrote me a reply after I asked her questions on the decreasing of the beret. I wanted it to be less pointy. I was super happy that she wrote me back so fast and was so very helpful!
After I knit up the black beret, I plan on taking a few pictures of Hannah wearing it (if she lets me!), and then I'll post a picture on my blog. If nothing else I will just show the back view.
Both patterns are so easy to knit and don't take long. It usually takes me about a week to make a hat and I had four berets done in a couple of days.
Some pictures to share:
Last week a friend asked me to sew her a cell phone holder that she wanted to give to a friend. So I took out my supplies and started to d...
*If you wish to share this pattern with others, please send them the link rather than copying and pasting the pattern. One of my k...
I bought some red netting the other day to try making a different crocheted pot scrubber. I was talking to a friend of mine about a scrubbe...
I've talked before about acrylic dish cloths versus cotton but I was doing some research yesterday on tawashi patterns and one of the th...