Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Keeping hands and mind busy

I've been staying busy lately with crocheting rugs out of t-shirts. A friend of mine shared this idea with me only she uses a loom to make her rugs with. I had planned to knit the rugs originally but finding that I can make them a lot quicker and easier by crocheting them.

I can't believe how time consuming it is to cut the shirts into strips. Then knot them all together. Then finally crochet it. Actually by the time I get to crocheting it, it's a piece of cake! So relaxing and enjoyable.

The next rug I'm making is for a friend of mine's son. I'm hoping to start on it tomorrow after I get more strips wound up. I'm hoping to post up pictures from start to finish, so I'll try to remember to have my camera handy when I start tomorrow.

I've learned many lessons since first starting this project a few weeks ago. I've made a few mistakes and learned some good tips which I'll share later.

I've also been working diligently on the two prayer shawls I started almost a month ago. Wow! Has it been that long already? Yes, it was September 7th that I went to my first meeting. I have decided to try and knit at least 5 inches a day on it. Hopefully knit 9 inches a day and have one done per week.

I've been having so much trouble with the Homespun yarn that I was about ready to just give up altogether with the yarn in general. Then tonight, I rewound it into a ball and so far I haven't had any trouble with it bunching up. At least not in the way of stopping me every other knit stitch and having to unwind the twisting. I wish I thought of this awhile back. Things are going much more smoothly now.

I'm planning on knitting a hat for a friend with some of the Homespun yarn and anxiously awaiting to try it now that I know some of the tricks and tips for using the yarn.

Until next time!

No comments:

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...