Beans and rice, Rice and beans

So, we've made quite a few changes to our diet and have incorporated a lot of beans and brown rice to our diet. I'm quiet pleased with the new menus, I might add.

I've been having such a great time trying new recipes and finding out different ways to cook these two simple ingredients. I used to dread the task of figuring out what to make for supper because I was always afraid to try new recipes. What if we don't like it? But I've found our tastes have changed somewhat and so far everything I've made we've loved!

I plan to post up a menu in the upcoming months showing the different meals we've eaten. Most of the days what I make is enough for leftovers, so keep that in mind. I'm also trying to cut our food budget in half and I think I'm coming close to doing that.

I just joined a local food co-op and very excited about being able to buy in bulk again. Now, if I can just find a place to store all our yummy food!

We eat meat about once a week if that and I find I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Our diet consists of black beans, northern beans, pinto beans, red, green, and brown lentils (which by the way all taste and cook differently) and split peas. Whole wheat pitas or tortillas and brown rice.

I am drooling over the thought of adding fresh vegetables to this mix but for now will be content with frozen veggies and selected few fresh vegetables from the store. I am trying hard to eat in season. Which is why I want to save up for this cookbook.

I am still trying to keep my possessions down to a bare minimum but I will have to make an exception with this cookbook. I checked it out from the Kansas library and I just fell in love with it!

Until next time!

Comments

Heather said…
i do hope you post some of your bean/rice meals sometime. i'd like to eat a lot more of beans and rice, but other than hummus, sushi, and lentil soup, i'm bad at using rice/beans in my meals.

do you know of any bulk food coop in se ks?

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial