Monday, March 26, 2007

Peanut butter, anyone?

With all the talk of the peanut butter recall and other recalls, it really has reinforced what I believe about getting away from prepackaged foods, and making food from scratch. I was talking to a friend about how I used to make peanut butter and how I wanted to make up a batch soon. He asked me if I would make him a batch too. Peanuts were on sale that day so I went and bought a few pounds. I wasn't sure how many I'd need and if I should get salted on non-salted. I also wondered how many times some of the peanuts had fallen into each other's containers accidentally. So, I ended up getting half of each kind. I'd tried to make peanut butter before in my blender but it turned out to be just a mess. I had a recipe calling for a food processor so I thought I'd try it. It turned out pretty good. I made sure to run the processor long enough to get a real creamy texture like I like. I gave a jar to my friend and he loved it! He said he doesn't have to soften it at room temperature before using (which I figured he'd have to do) and that it spreads really nicely. And the finished product- Ta da!

1 comment:

Gunner said...

I love my bale jars. Hard to find good oness that don't cost their weight in gold.

That recipe sounds interesting.

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...