Recipe for refrigerator rolls

I recently tried a new recipe called Refrigerator Rolls. I've heard of it before, where you make the dough up at the beginning of the week and then pull off pieces as you need it. For some reason, I never would try it. I have no idea why. This recipe is the greatest! I only have to mix and knead the dough once and all week long I can have tasty delicious rolls. You have to remember though to punch down the dough every day until you use it. Also, sometimes when I don't have the two hours it needs to rise, I just roll it into balls anyways, let it sit for the time I do have and bake it. They still turn out good. Ready for the recipe? Here it is:

Refrigerator Rolls- from Farm Journal's Country Cookbook.

2 pkg's active dry yeast
1 3/4 c. warm water
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
5 1/2-6 c. flour (all purpose)
1 egg
1/4 c. shortening, butter, or margarine. (tastes best with margarine or butter)

Sprinkle yeast over warm water in large bowl; stir to dissolve. Add sugar salt and about half the flour. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 2 minutes or by hand until mixture is smooth.

Add egg and shortening, (I like to soften butter first, not too hot to cook the egg though). Beat to mix. Mix in remaining flour with hands or a spoon until dough is easy to handle. Shape into a ball and place in lightly greased bowl; turn greased side of dough up. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, or place bowl in a plastic bag.

Put dough in refrigerator and let rise at least 2 hours, or until doubled before using. Punch down dough every day until you use it. Two hours before you want to serve hot rolls, punch down dough and shape. Brush tops with melted butter; cover and let rise in warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) 12-15 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen average size rolls.

Dough may be kept up to 5 days in refrigerator with 45 degrees or lower temperature.

I've left it in the refrigerator up to 7 days and it was fine

P.S. I'm so glad I posted the recipe here because I gave away this cookbook and would have missed making this recipe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial