Thursday, December 7, 2006

Experimental soup recipe

My favorite part of winter is being able to eat soups, drink hot tea and cocoa. I enjoy these foods all year, but it's just not the same when you are cold and need something to warm you up.

Normally, when a recipe calls for onions, I use half the amount and throw out the leftover pieces, Gasp! I know. What a waste! It's just that when I try to save onions, they taste all bitter, so I end up throwing them out later. Which by the way hasn't happened recently. Better storing methods? I don't know.

I love using small onions and the only way to get them is to buy a bag. I hate having to pick through the ones in the store and be stuck with humongous onions. I know that people think that bigger is better, but I like them small.

But the other day, I took the onion leftovers and stuck them in a tupperware container and froze them. Then later that week, I made some eggrolls and had leftover cabbage. Huge pieces that got chopped and diced but were too tough to save for the eggrolls. I stashed them in the container with the onions. Then, I made some peanut butter and celery and chopped off the leaves and the white parts. Yes, I normally toss those out too. Gasp, again! This time I stuck them with the onions and cabbage.

By the end of the week, I had a lot of frozen veggies. And I was getting hungry for some soup. I wanted to make this thai soup that has rice in it and reminds me of a thai version of chicken noodle soup, (rice instead of noodles) but I didn't have any of the ingredients needed so I just sort of threw some stuff in a pot. I took the veggies I was saving, added some chopped carrots, a can of chicken broth, and some chopped ginger. I threw in some leftover rice and a dash of garlic powder. That was the best soup I have ever thrown together without a recipe! I added lots and lots of black pepper to it too. It was so spicy. It was great because I had a cold and my head was all stopped up. A few days of this soup and I was feeling a lot better, not too mention I was no longer stuffed up.

Now, I look forward to storing extra veggies and it's no longer a chore to decide what to do with all the leftover "waste". Each time I make the soup, it's a bit different, but still good. It reminds me of the weight watcher's recipe called Garden Vegetable Soup. That is so tasty too!

3 comments:

Gunner said...

have you tried just dropping the extra onions into a bale(bail?) jar of vinegar in the fridge. I use this for onions and peppers. Great seasoning for beans, chilis, or even egg omeletes.

Noel Wright said...

that sounds like a great idea!

Ben Holman said...

Hi Noel,

It's Ben. I need your address so we can send you a Christmas Card. If you would be so kind as to email it to me @ arthurpwiggle@hotmail.com.

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...