Monday, October 16, 2006

Dodge the acorns and other fun times

Had one of the best weekends in a long time at our favorite camping spot. We got there late Saturday night and spent all day Sunday out by the campfire laughing and just having a good time. I don't remember ever laughing as much as we did.

It was supposed to rain all day which is one reason we decided to go there, but other than a few sprinkles, and a lot of wind, the weather was perfect in my opinion. With all the wind, it didn't take long for the laundry to dry. While Nick started the fire, I hunted for thin papery bark, perfect for helping start the fire. I went by myself at first and found what I thought was the right kind of bark. Came back with bark, but the wrong kind.

The next time I went out I took Huck along. He loved it. I was worried he would howl while I went into the woods, (I tied him up on a pole right in front of the forest) but he was so good and just waited patiently for me to emerge. I didn't take him in with me, because of all the poison ivy and because I didn't want him to think he was in there to hunt.

You could tell he really wanted to go with his mama though. I heard a car coming down the road and had to dash back out to make sure he wasn't standing in the middle of the road. I finally found the right kind of bark and collected enough to save for the next time too. I went back out several times after that and looked for more bark. It was fun!

Nick and I played a fun game called Dodge the acorns. It's played when you're feeling a bit nippy and need to warm up. You stand against the back of the camper and try not to get hit by acorns being thrown at you from a short distance. I tried to trick Nick several times but he figured out my plan and pelted me a few times with acorns. Once he mistakenly picked up a rock and threw it at me. It missed, thank goodness. I'd dodge back and forth trying not to get hit making faces at him.

Another time, I had my eyes squinted shut to avoid having them burn because of the smoke. Nick had asked me to get him some water, so with them half squinted I felt around to find his cup and handed it to him. He joked around with me and acted like he was going to swig some water at me. My eyes were barely open but all of a sudden I saw a cup of water coming my way and my eyes burst open. Of course, this made Nick laugh his head off at me. I love hearing him laugh and like I said, we laughed all weekend long. Sitting in front of the campfire we also had some good serious talks about life and other important topics.

Later on, Larry, the camp host took us out in his truck and we loaded up some more firewood down the road near the campsite. He showed us where the lake used to be, all dried up now with no rain. It was a bumpy ride, but beautiful!

I slept so peacefully and I can't wait to go back there again.

This weekend we are planning a trip to our home in Missouri and to see some friends. My sister and mom will be coming down to see us there. I can't wait! I haven't met my sister's newest baby. It's been a few months since I saw my mom too. I just wish my dad would be there. (My mom stayed a month helping my sister adjust to a new baby in the family.)

Until next time...

2 comments:

Gunner said...

You ever get a good recipe on how to make italian dressing? It was italian I hope. I still use the packages and mix it up using balsamic vinegar. I call it "dark vinegrette".

Noel Wright said...

No, I never did. I actually forgot why I was looking for a recipe for one. :-)

Old Shale Scarf and fabric

I bought some yarn this week but could not bring myself to start another project until I finished at least one of my current WIP's. So, ...