Sunday, June 18, 2006

Huck and the harness

Huck and I went over to see a friend and her basset hound, Sadie. I've been taking Huck over there so he can get all his energy out. He loves going over there. They have a huge fenced in yard. They run and romp and have the time of their lives.

Before we left, my friend gave Huck a red paw printed harness. She had ordered it for Sadie and for whatever reason could not use it. I wasn't sure if it would fit him or not, but I was so thrilled. I've been meaning to get one for him but haven't yet. I don't like how collars alone strain Huck's neck.

Now, Huck's never worn a harness before, although I've put shirts on Huck for fun and to see what he'd do. He didn't know what to think of this new contraption. I think he figured I'd take it off, but to take him out for a walk in this thing!?!

The first time we went for a walk, we didn't get very far. Huck just sat there. I'd give him a tug and he'd take a step, and stop. Get tugged, step, stop.. over and over. It got quite annoying. He had the most funniest look on his face. Like get this thing off of me! Normally, when we go on walks, he's pulling me the whole way, unless I tell him to heel and he does nicely. So, we turned back around and headed home. I was about to give up.

But when we got home, I left it on him so he could get used to it and gave him a bunch of treats while it was on him. Actually, I had him do a couple of sit, stays and comes, so, he could get used to walking in it. The first few times, he sort of waddled. It was so funny!

Today when I took him out, he walked normally but really slow, which was nice for me, not being pulled all over the place. I hope that by tomorrow, he is more used to it. And the next day, and the next day and the next...

Whoever said people with pets live happier longer lives wasn't kidding. Who knew it was because they make you laugh so much!

1 comment:

Bonita said...

They also keep you fit, if you take them for long walks.... :)

Blessing bags completed.

The first batch of blessing bags have been completed. Here are the last of them. Next challenge is to make 25 more in a Christmas...