The homesteader's most valuable resource...

It doesn't matter if you are the poorest SOB on the face of the planet, if you are a homesteader there is one thing that you have more of than you could ever use up.

Time.

We live in an age where folks think that everything should've been done yesterday. And I tell you what, that is probably the hardest attitude that I'm trying to overcome.

There are so many things that I want to do to our homestead, and I want them done now! But it is just not meant to be that way. I don't have the funds (or the desire) necessary to live that kind of life.

When weighing options for getting work done here so far, I've always been presented with two basic options. The "easy" way and the "hard" way.

Obviously the easy way entails paying someone else to do the work; whether paying for labor or renting equipment to use myself. But there's that key word -- "paying."

The hard way always means doing the work myself, often with materials scavenged from somewhere else. Oh, and it almost always means lots of time.

Thankfully, I rarely have money to pay anyone to do my work for me. And I say thankfully because it really is much more fulfilling to do the work yourself. Because I have all the time in the world.

Yes, I do have a day job. But my evenings are all mine, along with all day Sunday and half-days on Saturdays and Mondays.

Fencing in my yard is the perfect example. I'll be scrounging the wood from old pallets and doing all the labor myself. Sure I won't be able to fence in my entire yard in a week's time, but if it takes me half a year to finish, so what? Yes, it's hard as hell to take the boards off pallets; especially the one's I've been getting lately, seems whoever put them together thought it'd be a good idea to put four nails in each place where wood touches wood. But I've got all the time in the world. My yard's not going anywhere, and neither am I.

When it's done, I'll have done it myself and at no cost to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to crochet a pot scrubber with video link

Crocheted Rag Rug Tutorial

How to make a rectangle crochet pot scrubber